A nondestructive examination method used to:
- Evaluate an item by observation.
- Determine the surface condition of an article,
- Check the alignment of mating surfaces, compliance with physical requirements (dimensions, settings), etc.
- Usually the first method employed for locating suspected defects
Why Visual Examination?
Can be used to inspect:
- The surface
- Breaking discontinuities
- Does not require special equipment other than good eyesight(optical and mechanical aids is optional to improve inspection quality)
- Low cost
Visual Inspection Optical Aids
Used when direct visual examination is not possible
- Video Cameras
Visual Inspection Mechanical Aids:
- Depth gauges
- Thread pitch gauges
- Feeler gauges
- Weld gauges