A nondestructive examination method used to:
- evaluate an item by observation.
- Used to determine the surface condition of an article,
- alignment of mating surfaces, compliance with physical
- requirements (dimensions, settings), etc.
- Usually the first method employed for locating suspected ddefects
Why Visual Examination?
- Can be used to inspect for surface
- breaking discontinuities
- Does not require special equipment other than good eyesight(optical and mechanical aids optional to improve inspection quality)
- Low cost
Visual Inspection Optical Aids
- Used when direct visual examination is not possible
- Video Cameras
- Visual Inspection
Visual Inspection Mechanical Aids:
- Depth gauges
- Thread pitch gauges
- Feeler gauges
- Weld gauges